Follow these steps to tune up your B2B marketing program and drive new business.
- Determine your corporate revenue goals. I suggest you set three goals at three levels:
- Determine percentage of your company’s revenue that needs to come from new business.
- Determine the percentage of your company’s new business revenue needs to come from marketing generated leads.
- Determine the definition of a “qualified sales lead” that sales and corporate management agrees with
- Determine how many qualified B2B sales leads are needed to meet these revenue goals
- Determine how many new inquiries are needed in order to identify enough qualified B2B sales leads that can close during the period.
- Determine the “pain” your products and services address
- Determine the “pain relief” your company can provide
- Determine your company’s competitive advantages and how best to articulate them
- Determine the best companies and contacts to target with your lead generation efforts
- Determine where to find these companies and contacts
- Determining the B2B marketing resources already available
- Determine and prioritize how best to communicate with your target companies and contacts
- Determine and prioritize tactics for eliciting inquiries from these companies and contacts
- Determine and prioritize tactics for identifying qualified sales leads
- Determine and prioritize tactics for nurturing your “not-yet-qualified” leads until they are determined to be qualified
- Determine and prioritize the sales tools needed by your salespeople to
- Demonstrate the pain relief offered by your company (both products and services)
- Demonstrate the advantages of selecting your company instead of its competitors
- Close sales
- Determine how best to measure the effectiveness of your B2B marketing programs designed to
- Generate inquiries
- Identify qualified sales leads
- Nurture not-yet-qualified inquiries
- Provide sales tools for your salespeople
- Determine how best to communicate the results of your B2B marketing programs to management
Resources and Budget
- Determine the resources and budget needed accomplish the above and meet
- Minimum goals
- Target goals
- Stretch goals
- Use your B2B marketing plan to justify the budget
- Get budget approved
- Determine the best schedule of B2B marketing activities, designed to
- Generate some short-term results to demonstrate competence and ROI
- Generate a steady stream of qualified sales opportunities and sales tools for your salespeople
- Determine resources needed to implement these activities
- Assign responsibilities
- Start implementing!
Contact Mac for a Free Decision Maker Kit
M. H. "Mac" McIntosh is described by many as one of America's leading business-to-business sales and marketing consultants and marketing speakers. He is president of Mac McIntosh Incorporated, a marketing consulting firm specializing in helping companies get more high-quality sales leads and turn them into sales. More about Mac...