Are you going to be a podcast guest?
Follow these simple tips and you’re sure to have a successful podcast interview and set yourself up as a sought-after guest:
- Hydrate in advance of the podcast interview. This will help you avoid being heard sipping water or clearing your throat.
- Consider taking a bathroom break before you log on to the webcast.
- Make sure you have a good connection for the audio. Avoid using cell phones for the podcast interview.
- Wear headphones or earbuds during the call. This may allow you to hear yourself as you talk, which can be a bit weird at first, but you’ll quickly get used to it. Wearing headphones keeps your audio ‘clean’, as your microphone won’t accidentally pick up the host’s voice.
- Use an external microphone if you have one. If you don’t have an external microphone, use a headset with a built-in microphone, or use your iPhone earbuds. If you don’t have those either you can use your computer’s built-in microphone, but that should be a last resort as the sound quality will be poor.
- Be on time. Podcast hosts often conduct multiple interviews in one day. So be a good guest by respecting their time.
- Try to log-on at least five minutes early so you have time to address any issues.
- Conduct your interview in a quiet room. Make sure your emails and computer reminders don’t ding, your cell phone is on silent, and you have set your phone to “do not disturb.”
- Know what messages you want to convey and how best to get those messages across.
- If you plan to use notes, consider printing them on single page or on card stock so the listeners won’t hear you shuffling papers.
- Suggest some questions for the host in advance, so you can prepare your answers.
- Keep your answers to three minutes or less. For listeners, a conversation is much more interesting than a monologue.
- Try to avoid being monotone by using inflection in your voice to engage the listeners.
- Many hosts ask for a final thought/point. Prepare one in advance just in case.
- Promote the episode. In addition to the host’s own promotion, the host will count on you to let your social media contacts and newsletter or blog readers know about your guest episode.
If your company sells products or services to business-to-business marketers, consider having one of your senior executives be my guest on my podcast, B2B Marketing Update.
Interested? Simply send an email with “Possible podcast guest” in the subject line to firstname.lastname@example.org.